Hard drive imaging

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 16:20:01 MDT 2006

On 6/21/06, Stephen Ward <sjward at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a convenient way to image a single hard drive and then
> deploy it on out to a bunch of other drives with capacity greater than or
> equal to that of the original.
>
> What I've come up with is to use the dd command to rip the raw data off the
> drive and save it to a file.  I'd like to store the file on a large Windows
> share, so I'd probably mount the share with samba and then just tell dd to
> save the file there.  Then to deploy, I'd just do the reverse.
>
> Maybe I'd mix in a little gzip/gunzip piping as well.
>
> Any thoughts?  Is there already some tool out there designed for this that
> would save me a few steps?

I recently used partimage with knoppix 5.01 to backup a single NTFS
Windows box - not sure how well partimage fares with multiple systems:

1. mount an external/remote file system
2. run 'partimage /dev/hda' or similar
3. partimage will do the compression for you & it's quite fast.  It
has a wizard that walks you through the destination to save the file &
compression options.
4. Save the MBR: 'dd if=/dev/hda
of=/mnt/backup/system20060626-101-mbr.dd bs=512 count=1'

That's as far as I got - you'd need to script partimage in a networked
setup, more here:

http://www.sns.ias.edu/~jns/wp/2006/03/21/backup-restore-scripts-for-imaging-cloning-disks-using-partimage-under-linux/
http://www.partimage.org/Screenshots
--