Hard drive imaging

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Thu Jun 22 00:25:15 MDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:30:54PM -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> OTOH, the days of dual booting could be coming to an end.  VMware is
> free (as in cost), QEMU apparently now supports full virtualization (but
> only with the free binary kernel module), and AMD and Intel are adding
> virtualization support to their CPUs (which could give us completely
> Free virtualization).  Also, the only Windows software that really
> interested me, Google Earth, is now cross platform.  Yay. :-)

Don't forget Xen which already can use the CPU based virtualization.
AMD's chips with pacifica (their virtualization technology) came out
last month. And Intel has been shipping chips with theirs since the
start of the year.

If you've got a new intel mac, you've got a system that can do full
virtualization.

It's all pretty sweet. I was playing with Parallels desktop on a new
macbook pro. Fun spooking out my co-workers with the windows boot-up
noise when you're still in OS X.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net