Hard drive imaging

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Jun 21 23:30:54 MDT 2006

Steve wrote:
> I've found Ubuntu to be the best way to deal with windows drives :)

You may not be serious, but you're right, if you're talking about dual
booting.  I've botched a lot of dual-boot Linux/Windows installs using
fdisk, cfdisk, and sfdisk.... but GParted from the 6.06 release did
everything correctly the first time.  I was shocked.  No more writing
down sector and cylinder numbers on paper.

OTOH, the days of dual booting could be coming to an end.  VMware is
free (as in cost), QEMU apparently now supports full virtualization (but
only with the free binary kernel module), and AMD and Intel are adding
virtualization support to their CPUs (which could give us completely
Free virtualization).  Also, the only Windows software that really
interested me, Google Earth, is now cross platform.  Yay. :-)

Shane