Hard drive imaging

Stephen Ward sjward at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 09:11:46 MDT 2006

I'm looking for a convenient way to image a single hard drive and then
deploy it on out to a bunch of other drives with capacity greater than or
equal to that of the original.

What I've come up with is to use the dd command to rip the raw data off the
drive and save it to a file.  I'd like to store the file on a large Windows
share, so I'd probably mount the share with samba and then just tell dd to
save the file there.  Then to deploy, I'd just do the reverse.

Maybe I'd mix in a little gzip/gunzip piping as well.

Any thoughts?  Is there already some tool out there designed for this that
would save me a few steps?

Thanks,
Stephen

--