Eclipse is very nice, but :(...

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 17:10:26 MDT 2006

On 6/20/06, Michael Halcrow <mike at halcrow.us> wrote:
> Well, you get the idea. There is a very good reasons for requiring
> developers to stick with 8 tabs/80 columns in general, not the least
> of which is to encourage the developer to keep the code broken up into
> concise functional units that are easily understandable and
> maintainable.

Not that this is adding any brilliant new insight to the discussion
that most of you don't already know, but I would tend to heartily
agree here.  I find in most of the code I've written (for work, school
or personal tinkering) that if I go past a certain number (2-4) of
indentation levels, it's time to break it up into a
subroutine/method/function, not just for readability while staying
inside 80 columns but for functional usefulness.  Despite my relative
inexperience with "real-world" applications, I would say that it would
be a rare case when code becomes functionally simpler by using deep
nesting instead of subroutines.

--
Alex Esplin