Eclipse is very nice, but :(...

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Jun 20 12:57:06 MDT 2006

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 at 11:43 -0600, Alan Young wrote:

> My point, though, is that arguing over something that is easily
> changeable and customizable is a pointless waste of time and energy.

I argue that whitespace has meaning in good code (on the same plane as
comments, not for the compiler). It's not like XML. You may argue that
it's better to not include any whitespace with meaning, but others will
disagree. When whitespace has meaning, pretty printers fail.

I also have failed to find a decent formatter for C++, let along many
other less-popular languages.

People have ranted about mixing spaces and tabs. Yes, very bad.

Someone mentioned something that I'd like to address here lazily without
going back and replying to it properly. Hey, at least I trim-posted. If
your editor doesn't let you type tab and get 4 spaces, then type
backspace and get 4 fewer spaces, get a new editor. I have a
recommendation. Pick up vim and read up on smarttab, expandtab,
and shiftwidth.

I use shiftwidth=4,tabstop=8,expandtab,smarttab

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach