Eclipse is very nice, but :(...

Alan Young alansyoungiii at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 09:20:26 MDT 2006

Mark Hobson wrote:
> Should you change to spaces, it's a pain to change back to tabs - I
> personally prefer tabs at 5 spaces (and in vi - around 8 spaces) - and using
> Tab/Shift+Tab is a lifesaver.  Whenever I open code with spaces, the first
> thing I have to do is change the spaces to tabs.

This isn't directed at you personally, you just got lucky in being the
proverbial straw.

<rant>
There isn't any reason for these discussions on style or formatting!

There are any number of programs that will automatically and reliably
re-style and re-format a program in whatever way you want.

Instead of trying to convince people to use "the one true path" we
should be focusing on getting people to use these programs.

I realize that this causes problems for version control systems (e.g., a
reformatted program loses annotation in cvs) but there are ways to
handle even this.
</rant>