Eclipse is very nice, but :(...

Gregory Hill Gregory_Hill at tni.com
Mon Jun 19 16:43:42 MDT 2006

> Amen, and Amen.
>
> More people should adopt the Linux kernel coding standards:
>
> http://www.adamspiers.org/computing/Linus-Kernel-CodingStyle
>
> 80 columns max. 8-space tabs. If your code starts looking ugly under
> those constraints, you're probably writing bad code. From the doc:
>
> ---
> Now, some people will claim that having 8-character indentations makes
> the code move too far to the right, and makes it hard to read on a
> 80-character terminal screen.  The answer to that is that if you need
> more than 3 levels of indentation, you're screwed anyway, and should
> fix your program.
> ---

I agree with a few of his points, but the whole put curly brackets at
the end of the line normally, but at the beginning of the line for
functions, kind of ruins his argument for me.  It shows me that he's
more concerned with doing things how he likes than making them
consistent.  Maybe that's an unfair criticism, but that's how it reads
to me.

I've tried doing 4-space, and 2-space tabs, spaces instead of tabs, etc.
I think I'm going to go back to tab characters.  It makes the file
smaller, and whoever reads the code can see it however they want to see
it by setting their own tab-stops.  I never understood why people are so
anal about formatting; I can't recall ever being inhibited in reading
someone's code based on how many spaces they use and where they put the
brackets.  I can see it in cases where someone puts a multiple
statements on the same line, leaves out technically unnecessary brackets
(like the javascript example posted earlier in the thread), or purposely
obfuscates their code, but spacing?  Who cares.  But that's just my
opinion, and I realize that not many will agree.

Greg