Nohuppin way!

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Mon Jun 19 16:35:37 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 15:57 -0600, Kyle Robinson wrote:
> I'm betting that console spew is eating up memory since it's never
> going anywhere.  Try piping all console spew to /dev/null 2>&1, then
> nohuping.

Doesn't nohup write the STDOUT to a file in the current directory?

When I check the man page, it doesn't say.  However, it does say this:

***
NOTE:  your  shell  may  have  its  own version of nohup, which usually
supersedes the version described here.  Please refer  to  your  shell’s
documentation for details about the options it supports.
****

Interesting.

Anyway, I just confirmed that behavior with bash in Ubuntu:

gabe at office:~$ nohup ls
nohup: appending output to `nohup.out'

I would also recommend screen for anything that you want to leave and
then revisit.  It might not help with your memory problem, but is sure
is slick.

In bash, the builtin "disown" is also an option:

disown

        disown [-ar] [-h] [jobspec ...]
        Without options, each jobspec is removed from the table of
        active jobs. If the `-h' option is given, the job is not removed
        from the table, but is marked so that SIGHUP is not sent to the
        job if the shell receives a SIGHUP. If jobspec is not present,
        and neither the `-a' nor `-r' option is supplied, the current
        job is used. If no jobspec is supplied, the `-a' option means to
        remove or mark all jobs; the `-r' option without a jobspec
        argument restricts operation to running jobs.

--
Gabriel Gunderson
http://gundy.org