Nohuppin way!

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 15:54:55 MDT 2006

Hello everyone,
I have been using nohup to daemonize a game server, problem is that
when I eventually need to restart the game server, killing the process
is NOT freeing the RAM
I'm using kill (pid).
Anyways, another oddity is that when I use nohup the gameserver
process is slowly consuming more and more ram, however if I don't
nohup it I do not suffer this problem, or at least it's not noticable.
I would very much like to be able to start the gameserver, then close
my SSH session, however other than nohup I cannot think of an
alternative that gives me that flexbility.
The game server features a "console" mode that it goes into by
default, and was never really designed to be run as a daemon, but
other than the console spew I cannot see any reason why the process
could not be daemonized.
I was hoping someone here may have some suggestions as to what else I may use.

Thanx in advance!