Eclipse is very nice, but :(...

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Mon Jun 19 14:55:46 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 14:36 -0600, Mark Hobson wrote:
> Should you change to spaces, it's a pain to change back to tabs - I
> personally prefer tabs at 5 spaces (and in vi - around 8 spaces) - and using
> Tab/Shift+Tab is a lifesaver.  Whenever I open code with spaces, the first
> thing I have to do is change the spaces to tabs.

man unexpand

You are dangerously wrong. Changing whitespace creates evil amounts of
churn unless you've configured your RCS to do automatic formatting on
checkin. (You are using an RCS right? Right?! /me sobs)

Sadly, some people have not yet realized that there is no editor but Vim
and Bram is it's maintainer. Looking at the screen, without moving the
cursor, can you tell the difference between spaces and tabs? No. If
anyone is so foolish as to change the width of a tab, you will get
mixtures of tabs and spaces that don't align the same in everyone's
editor. God created the tab with a width of 8 spaces, who are we to
question Him? The space character, however, is always the same size
everywhere.

# vim: set fileencoding=utf-8 : -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
# vim: set sw=4 ts=8 sts=4 expandtab autoindent :

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill