Eclipse is very nice, but :(...

Mark Hobson red5consulting at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 14:36:45 MDT 2006

Should you change to spaces, it's a pain to change back to tabs - I
personally prefer tabs at 5 spaces (and in vi - around 8 spaces) - and using
Tab/Shift+Tab is a lifesaver.  Whenever I open code with spaces, the first
thing I have to do is change the spaces to tabs.

Anyhow, that's just my rant on personal preference.  (Incidentally I also
dislike the "if" block without brackets that is so common in javascript
code, but we'll save that one for another time).

But to answer your question - in Eclipse 3.2, you can open
Window...Preferences, then go to Java...Code Style...Formatter and load the
profile.  A new window will open and you can select to use tabs or spaces,
as well as setting the tab width.  And if it helps, try the MyEclipse plugin
- it's a cheap plugin (29.95/year) but has full support for most servers
(Jboss, tomcat, oracle, jrun, weblogic) as well as it's own editors (html,
jsp, xml, etc).  And it has easy an easy way to change between tabs and
spaces.

- Mark Hobson