[UPHPU] Eclipse is very nice, but :(...

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at jkdwebmagic.com
Mon Jun 19 11:50:58 MDT 2006

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, C. Ed Felt wrote:

> Fellow Eclipse users, (you can ignore this email if you are not one):
>
> Eclipse is great and has all the goodies I need in an open source, code
> completing, block collapsing IDE.  I finally have it fully configured for and
> would like to use it for PHP, Python, etc.  But there is one fatal flaw: I
> can't seem to find a way to change tab to spaces.  I need specifically to
> change tab to three spaces, (so that when I type tab, I get three spaces).
> The code is much cleaner this way and there are many current and possible
> future clients who require this.  I have tried both Eclipse 3.1 and 3.2 and
> do not find this feature.  Please tell me how to change this setting, or, if
> possible an easy work around.  Please don't tell me about the "Displayed tab
> width" setting.  This is for display only and does not effect the actual
> text.  Sorry if I sound upset, it's because I am frustrated with this huge
> oversight and/or sloppily excluded feature.
>
> -Ed Felt

I am using the PHPeclipse plugin for Eclipse.  I have a setting in my
preferences called "Insert spaces for tab (see Code Formatter preference
page".  I get to it in my preferences window by going to:

-PHPeclipse Web Development
 	-PHP
 		-Typing (tab)

I am using Eclipse 3.1.1 on Mac OSX 10.3.9 with PHPeclipse version 1.1.8.

hth,
Jonathan