Eclipse is very nice, but :(...

C. Ed Felt ed at thefelts.net
Mon Jun 19 11:02:26 MDT 2006

Fellow Eclipse users, (you can ignore this email if you are not one):

Eclipse is great and has all the goodies I need in an open source, code
completing, block collapsing IDE.  I finally have it fully configured
for and would like to use it for PHP, Python, etc.  But there is one
fatal flaw: I can't seem to find a way to change tab to spaces.  I need
specifically to change tab to three spaces, (so that when I type tab, I
get three spaces).  The code is much cleaner this way and there are many
current and possible future clients who require this.  I have tried both
Eclipse 3.1 and 3.2 and do not find this feature.  Please tell me how to
change this setting, or, if possible an easy work around.  Please don't
tell me about the "Displayed tab width" setting.  This is for display
only and does not effect the actual text.  Sorry if I sound upset, it's
because I am frustrated with this huge oversight and/or sloppily
excluded feature.

-Ed Felt