[PFB] Re: Html-PHP help

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 09:24:19 MDT 2006

On 6/19/06, Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org> wrote:
> JSP: Designed by Java programmers. In other words, tries to solve every
> problem that man has, is or may ever face. It does so at the cost of
> complexity. Of course it does complex session tracking automatically.

I think this view is common, but untrue.  JSP isn't complicated.
There are a lot of frameworks and code in Java that are complicated --
thus the reputation.  But there isn't anything inherent in Java or JSP
that makes this so.

You can develop php-like, model-1, web apps with ease in JSP.  It's no
harder than PHP.  Just straight forward embedding of code in between
<% %> tags in your otherwise HTML page.

The underlying session tracking features of JSP I mentioned before are
free.  No unholy mountains of configuration.  No endless layers of
complex code.  It really is easy.

> There's a reason people are exploring the use of PHP as the view portion
> of MVC Java Web apps.

Sure.  Why not.  After all the JVM runs more languages than any other
runtime (including .NET) -- php, python, ruby, groovy, beanshell,
javascript, cold fusion, scheme, and many others.  If the JVM can run
PHP, and there are many PHP (but non-java programmers), then why not
enable the use of it to render web pages.  Sounds like a win-win.
However, the dominate front-end technology for web pages in Java is
still JSP.

BTW - I'm not trying to sell JSP or PHP to the poster.  I'm sure he's
committed to PHP.

-Bryan