[OT] Re: Who modified my local variable?

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Tue Jun 13 14:33:27 MDT 2006

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:18:57 -0600, "Michael L Torrie"
<torriem at chem.byu.edu> said:
> On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 12:47 -0700, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> >
> > Try to hire a C++ developer under 30 some time.
>
> Should have marked this as off-topic some time ago. My apologies.
>
> Any good programmer should be able to adapt to any language given him.

An oft-repeated maxim, but only partly true.  Or, rather, only part _of
the truth._  The other part is, it takes time to become truly proficient
in any language worth learning.

But this is irrelevant to my point that C++ ceased to be teh hotness
with the up-and-coming generation some time ago.

> We've been through this before.  The consensus was that much more
> vertical market and in-house code is written than software that is
> actually released for consumers.  And of that software, yes, Java is
> used more than any other language.  But of the software that is visible,
> that consumers work with everyday, C++ still is very widely used.

Maintenance of legacy code bases isn't exactly proof positive of a
language's vitality.

-Jonathan