[OT] Re: Who modified my local variable?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Jun 13 14:21:44 MDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 14:12 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> I doubt Java's goals included training students to program in C/C++.
> You sound silly.

Well, like it or not, Java is used now as a training language in most CS
programs across the country.  And yes it is silly.

> That's a valid approach. In either case, students are going to have to
> _understand_ the memory model of C++ to avoid memory leaks. This doesn't
> happen automatically with either approach.

True, but having dealt with the harder approach, students may find it
easier to work with the easier, better approaches.  As a sort-of-related
example, I find that in my experience, Linux developers are much, much
better able to transition to developing for Windows than Windows
developers are able to move to developing for Linux or any Unix.