[OT] Re: Who modified my local variable?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Jun 13 14:18:57 MDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 12:47 -0700, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> Try to hire a C++ developer under 30 some time.

Should have marked this as off-topic some time ago. My apologies.

Any good programmer should be able to adapt to any language given him.
Thus you shouldn't be looking for "C++ developers" per se, but excellent
programmers.  Conversely when someone says they want to "hire a Java
Programmer" there are literal 10s of thousands of people who might
qualify for that, but not all of them are good programmers by any
stretch of the imagination (and this is not because of Java itself).

Just recently I received a job offer (well more of a cajole :) for some
heavy C++ programming.  And I believe quite a few employees at this
company are under 30.

We've been through this before.  The consensus was that much more
vertical market and in-house code is written than software that is
actually released for consumers.  And of that software, yes, Java is
used more than any other language.  But of the software that is visible,
that consumers work with everyday, C++ still is very widely used.  And
just because CS graduates know C++ less and less doesn't mean they won't
have to use it at some point in their careers.