Who modified my local variable?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Jun 13 13:38:50 MDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 12:16 -0700, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> Well, it cuts the other way, too -- C++ is a poor trainer for more
> modern languages.  And it's pretty clear which group is on its way out.

Well given that "modern" languages are really just a return to the
theories worked out in the 60s (LISP really has everything that modern
languages have and more), I can agree that C++ does bring about some
very poor practices.  D is much better.

But as for which group is on its way out, I really don't think you can
produce any evidence to show that C++ is on its way out.  While uptake
of Java has been huge, it hasn't traditionally been in the same area
where C++ is still widely used.  That isn't going to change anytime
soon, either, at least as fast as you seem to be implying.  For all its
warts, C++ is a remarkably robust and powerful language and a good
programmer can do with it just as quickly what you can do with Java.
Just take a look at boost.org.