A second Extended Partition ?(fdisk)

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Jun 9 15:50:34 MDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 09:19:56PM -0600, Joe Crown wrote:
> It was my understanding that you could create an unlimited number of
> logical partitions inside an extended partition.  When I setup my other
> computer I'll test that.  I'm going to be testing it with either Kubuntu
> or Edubuntu 6.06 as well as Windows 9x for kicks & giggles.

Thank you. It sounds like a good test to run. Much of what I recall is
from ancient Mess-DOS days, and different OSs treat the data on the
hard drive differently.

W9x is descended from Mess-DOS, so probably has the same limits. Don't
forget to test with and without the VFAT drivers. The easiest way to
test without the VFAT drivers is to make a boot diskette and use that.

If you have a legal copy of Windows NT, W2K or XP handy, you might
also test with that. They are not descended from Mess-DOS, so may
treat the partition data differently.

Now, it would be interesting to publish your results. Any ideas where?