Java null pointer exception in Mozilla

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 10:22:34 MDT 2006

On 6/8/06, Alex Esplin <alex.esplin at gmail.com> wrote:
> If 1.4.2 isn't still installed on your computer, it's trying to use a
> plugin from a runtime that no longer exists.  Find your current java
> install location (where 1.5 is installed), then make a new symlink to
> it from your /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory.  (You may also want
> to make a symlink to it from your .mozilla/plugins directory in your
> home directory.

Right.  The 1.4 JRE is being used within Mozilla.  I'm sure Russel
wants to use the 1.5 JRE instead, but that doesn't address the
original problem.  The 1.4 JVM should be fine, and doesn't explain the
NullPointerException received during the tutorial.  That's a
legitimate bug in the tutorial applet (what is the URL to that applet?
 I could take a look).

Anywho, Alex is right about what needs to be done to replace the 1.4
JRE plugin with the 1.5 JRE plugin.  You should be able to execute the
following as root and you'll be in ship shape:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
rm -rf libjava*
ln -s /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_04/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
<restart mozilla>
Browse to http://www.javaranch.com/game/game2.jsp

Make sure you see the cows walking around.

-Bryan