A second Extended Partition ?(fdisk)

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Jun 8 08:50:58 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 20:12 -0600, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 19:21 -0600, MT Morales wrote:
> > I didn't see any obvious options under fdisk to create a second extended
> > partition.
>
> I don't believe it's possible to have more than one extended partition.
> Why do you need five new partitions? Might this better be solved using
> LVM instead of partitions?

Well of course LVM would be a better solution, but of course I'm an LVM
fan-boy so you should expect that answer from me. If you have LVM
compiled into the kernel I think you could get away with this whole
upgrade without rebooting.

Since /dev/sda3 is the largest partition, I'm assuming it's just for
data, something like /home. Can you back it up elsewhere? Let's assume
you can.

        # pvcreate /dev/sda3
        # vgcreate vg0 /dev/sda3
        # lvcreate -n lv0 -L 1G vg0
        # lvcreate -n lv1 -L 1G vg0
        # lvcreate -n lv2 -L 1G vg0
        # mke2fs -j /dev/vg0/lv0
        # mke2fs -j /dev/vg0/lv1
        # mke2fs -j /dev/vg0/lv2

Substitute the actual sizes you want for "1G" in the example, and you
can change the names ("vg0", "lv0", etc.) to whatever you want. Then
mount them up and put all your data back. I think you'll also want to
change the partition type to LVM, but I believe LVM will work without
it. It may not autodetect the volumes at boot without it though.

Corey