A second Extended Partition ?(fdisk)

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Jun 7 22:06:59 MDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 08:12:39PM -0600, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 19:21 -0600, MT Morales wrote:
> > I didn't see any obvious options under fdisk to create a second extended
> > partition.
>
> I don't believe it's possible to have more than one extended partition.
> Why do you need five new partitions? Might this better be solved using
> LVM instead of partitions?

As far as Mess-DOS is (was?) concerned, you could have three extended
partitions; the first entry in the MBR must be a primary partition,
but after that all is fair game. Linux probably couldn't care less,
but your BIOS may.

LVM may or may not be a better way to go, depending on your disaster
recovery software and requirements.