wireless connection

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Wed Jun 7 07:40:11 MDT 2006

It's probably not a modem, but it may be encoding the bits with some
kind of forward error correction before flashing the laser. I imagine it
speaks Frame Relay or something and translates the Ethernet frames to a
synchronous protocol like DS3. Maybe it multiplexes the signal into a
DS3 with you and several other Utopia users. Whatever the case, it is
most likely not a modem.

--Dave