IMAP in house or other?

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.net
Tue Jun 6 20:17:38 MDT 2006

Steve wrote:

> One major concern is that since we are growing so fast we really
> cannot afford to lose even 1 single email...
>
> ... What we need is to either implement an "in house" IMAP server or
> go with a hosted solution.

Unless you have great faith in the connectivity of your office internet
connection, as well as the uptime of your mail server, and your ability
to effectively administer said server, it seems to me that a hosted
solution will be the better choice here.

It's not to say you couldn't do it in-house, and in fact that option is
probably attractive for several reasons, but when you talk about
"cannot afford to lose even a single e-mail" it sounds like it's
something best left in the hands of professionals.  Hosting companies
have redundant servers, multiple backbone connections, 24/7 staff to
monitor and fix problems, etc.

Moreover, hosted e-mail for a dozen users (even a hundred) isn't
terribly expensive.  Weigh the cost of the "lost e-mail" scenario with
the cost of paying someone to run your e-mail and make sure it's solid.

$0.02,
Jeff