wireless connection

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Sun Jun 4 15:39:24 MDT 2006

On Jun 3, 2006, at 5:07 PM, Joe Crown wrote:

> For upgrading the firmware on your router go to http://
> www.qwest.com/internethelp/ & select your router from the list of
> "modems" (I guess they call them modems because they figure the
> customers think that you need a modem, from what I understand a
> cable "modem" is not a modem but a bridge, as it bridges the cable
> network into USB & or Ethernet).  Since you didn't says which one
> you have I can't help you beyond that.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong on saying that a cable modem isn't a
> modem, but you need to provide some sort of information to prove it
> is true.

Hans is correct; a DSL modem is a modem.  A cable modem is also a
modem.  Here's why:  Modem stands for MODulate-DEModulate, and
modulation is the process of changing the frequency, amplitude, and
phase of an analog signal in order to encode a digital signal.  Both
DSL and Cable internet are digital information carried through an
analog medium, so a modem is required on both ends.  I believe ISDN,
on the other hand, is transmitted digitally, as are most network
protocols that go over twisted pair or fiber.

		--Levi