wireless connection

Russel Caldwell caldr704 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 15:06:22 MDT 2006

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions. Hans' suggestions were
particulary helpful to get a quick solution. I would like to try the
firmware but I haven't had any luck with firmware when I've tried it. When I
did a google for it all I got was an article about it. I am still wondering
what a router would add to the situation, if anything. Somebody has told me
that the Qwest modem is a router.

To answer your questions:

> > I found these directions for diabling ipv6. Does this look about
> > right?
>
> I don't know - did it make a difference?

The changes to the /etc/modprobe.d/aliases file did make a difference, but
the changes to the /etc/sysctl.conf file didn't seem to make a difference.
He didn't say what the changes were supposed to do. My sysctl.conf file
didn't have any lines that looked like the lines he suggested putting in so
I just threw them in at the end of the file but when I commented them out it
didn't seem to make a difference. Do you suppose his file had lines that
looked like that but mine didn't?

Also, what is autoconf and ipv6? And how do the two lines
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off
stop ipv6 from loading? I was particularly wondering why the second line.