wireless connection

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Sat Jun 3 07:18:31 MDT 2006

On Fri,  2 Jun 2006 at 18:20 -0600, Russel Caldwell wrote:
> I took out one of the IP addresses in /etc/resolv.conf and Firefox behaves
> much better but it will just get repopulated with the same addresses on the
> next boot, is that right?

Yes, unless you do something different. Some dhcp clients can be told to
leave /etc/resolv.conf alone, that's one option. Another is to not use
DHCP at all as has been suggested.

> I found these directions for diabling ipv6. Does this look about
> right?

I don't know - did it make a difference?

> I made 2 changes before I rebooted, so I can't be certain which one (or
> both?) actually had the effect of disabling ipv6 on boot.
>
> 1. vi /etc/sysctl.conf -  add
> net.ipv6.conf.eth1.autoconf = 0
> net.ipv6.conf.eth0.autoconf = 0
> net.ipv6.conf.default.autoconf = 0
> net.ipv6.conf.all.autoconf = 0
> net.ipv6.conf.lo.autoconf = 0

I'd be interested to know what these were set to before. Probably 1?
What is autoconf supposed to do?

> 2. vi /etc/modprobe.d/aliases - changed
> #alias net-pf-10 ipv6
> alias net-pf-10 off
> # and added
> alias ipv6 off

This keeps the ipv6 module from loading.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach