debian/nvidia "module not found"

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Fri Jun 2 17:35:06 MDT 2006

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Jason Holt wrote:

> Anybody else having trouble with nvidia GPUs and the big debian X11 update
> just now?  I reinstalled the NVIDIA...8762.run installer from nvidia.com, but
> I get "module not found" when I try to start X.

Turns out the nvidia installer puts things under /usr/X11R6/lib..., while the
new xorg updates (in debian/testing) now use /usr/lib/xorg/modules.  Putting
these two lines under 'Section "Files"' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf fixes the
problem:

# Make sure this is in the 'Section "Files"' section:

   ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers"
   ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions"

 						-J