wireless connection

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Jun 2 14:20:20 MDT 2006

On Fri,  2 Jun 2006 at 13:30 -0600, Russel Caldwell wrote:
> I am using Actiontec with DHCP. I'm also using the newest version of
> Ubuntu.I'll try your suggestion and see if that helps. Why would it work
> better with Windows? I was tempted to install Windows just to see if it
> would work with Windows.

No doubt because it was tested with Windows. The same reason hoardes of
laptops manage to work mostly well with windows while having terribly
buggy BIOSes. The same reason code students write in CS classes works
for the TA's tests but would fail miserably in a real world environment.

More detail on the problem: if it's the actiontec dns thing, then it's
related to ipv6. Your options are either to disable ipv6 completely in
the kernel so that linux programs like firefox don't do ipv6 dns
requests (not loading the ipv6 module is _not_ sufficient), or you can
get your client(s) to not use the actiontec for dns. (/etc/resolv.conf)

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach