wireless connection

Jake Pollmann jake.pollmann at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 13:16:39 MDT 2006

On 6/2/06, Russel Caldwell <caldr704 at gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> don't know if I did anything to cause it to go down. Since then I can ping
> out fine and Firefox is able to get to Google sometimes but can't seem to
> get anywhere else. It seems to partially get to a website and then kind of
> dies before it completely makes it. I'm wondering if it is the modem and
> whether a router might solve the problem or whether it would be something
> else.
<SNIP>

Russel,

Please provide more details.  What modem are you using?  (Guessing
Actiontec) What OS (Guessing recent Linux)?  Are you using DHCP?

This smells like the notorious Actiontec DNS flaw.  The Actiontec
works well with Windows, but has problems with other OS's.  The fix is
usually statically assigning your non-windows boxes IP addresses and
name servers.

If it is linux, take the line with 192.168.0.1 out of /etc/resolv.conf
and see if your system behaves better.

HTH,

Jake