wireless connection

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at jkdwebmagic.com
Fri Jun 2 11:49:13 MDT 2006

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Russel Caldwell wrote:

> Hi,
> I've got a wireless problem I was wondering if somebody could help me with.
> I had a Qwest DSL connection working for a while but then it went down. I
> don't know if I did anything to cause it to go down. Since then I can ping
> out fine and Firefox is able to get to Google sometimes but can't seem to
> get anywhere else. It seems to partially get to a website and then kind of
> dies before it completely makes it. I'm wondering if it is the modem and
> whether a router might solve the problem or whether it would be something
> else. Forgive my ignorance. I'm not much of a network guy.
>
> Thanks.
> Russ Caldwell

Have you talked with Qwest yet?  I have had many problems with their DSL
over the years and usually it takes them 2 weeks to figure out what their
problems are.

I have had similar problems to what you are experiencing and it cleared up
in a week.  Meanwhile I was banging my head against the Qwest wall.

Is your computer connected directly to the DSL modem (ie cat5 cable) or
wirelessly?  If wirelessly, try connecting directly with a cable.  Have
you unplugged your DSL modem and let it sit for a while?  Are you
connecting through a router/switch/hub?  Tell us more about your network
setup.

Jonathan