Strange Issue on FC4

C. Ed Felt edfelt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:06:16 MST 2006

   Jake Pollmann wrote:

On 1/30/06, C. Ed Felt [1]<edfelt at gmail.com> wrote:

   To anyone willing or able to help:
    1. Can't browse the web in Mozilla or Opera.  The first page or two
       comes up fine, then getting time outs after a while or it just
       keeps trying to load the page eternally.
    2. GAIM cannot connect to MSN messenger or AIM but can connect to
       Yahoo.
    3. Konqueror internet browsing works fine (but I need Mozilla/Opera
       for some work web sites :-( ).
    4. Thunderbird can't connect to or download new email.

I have felt the same pain and it was due to my Actiontec DSL modem's
shifty DNS server.  Despite trying to override the settings in the
modems interface, it always includes itself in the list of DNS servers
assigned by DHCP.

My cure was to assign the nameservers manually and not use DHCP on my
non-Windows gear.

Ignore me if the Actiontec hunch is not correct.

Jake

   Issues (really just one issue) resolved.
   I forgot to mention I had all ready tried all the stuff mentioned by
   everyone else (using ps to make sure firewall and selinux disabled,
   trying ping, traceroute etc).  Some apps worked (IP dependent) and
   some did not (DNS lookup for IP dependent).  Jake had the right idea.
   I did not have this issue before switching to DSL and the MSN (really
   Action Tech) "better" way of doing DNS for Windoze clients.
   Statically configuring IP and DNS settings on the Laptop did the
   trick.  My desktop (really web server) never had the issue because it
   all ready was statically configured.  No more issues now.  I put away
   the shot gun that was aimed at the FC4 CDs.  Too bad I can't take a
   shot gun to my DSL router, but alas, free is always the right price
   for me.
   Another question, before I devise some strange way of copying network
   settings with scripts for when I am on a home network verses on a
   "real" network.  Is there an easy way to auto change network configs?
   This would need to apply to hard wired as well as wireless.
   NetworkManager seems to lack the ability to have several network
   configs for all network types (including DNS, ip, mask, default
   gateway, dynamic vs static etc).
   Thanks for the fast and thorough answers,
   Ed Felt