Preferred method of multiple-machine email checking

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Mon Jan 30 17:12:19 MST 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 03:11:45PM -0700, Ross Werner wrote:
> What is everyone's preferred method of multiple-machine email checking?
> (i.e. a single email account, and you want to access (send and receive)
> that email account from various different machines and locations.)
>
> 1) Some web-based tool like Squirrelmail
> 2) SSH into a server and use something terminal-based like mutt/pine
> 3) Use a rich client like Thunderbird that you install on every machine
> you want to check email from, and use IMAP to make everything the same
> 4) Other?

I use 1.  Mutt is the only thing I can stand over dial-up.  I have
relatives who don't have broadband, and when I'm visiting them, I
can't stand webmail.  IMAP might work as well, but then I have to set
it up.

But my wife wants 3.  She loves evolution but she wants everything on
her computer upstairs AND on the kids computer downstairs.  I'm
assuming I'll also have to do LDAP for her addressbook.  Been wanting
to do that, just haven't had a good reason until now.

Barry