Preferred method of multiple-machine email checking

Gregory Hill Gregory_Hill at tni.com
Mon Jan 30 16:12:18 MST 2006

> Using IMAP is the key to flexibility.  POP is dead... or should be.

When I tried IMAP in the past, it was much more sluggish than POP.  Of
course, it could be that the IT guy at the employer I was working for
set it up incorrectly.  It literally took 10 times as long (or longer)
to download messages on the same machine when using IMAP vs. POP.  Is my
experience abnormal?  Or have there been improvements in IMAP servers in
the last few years?  If it is roughly equivalent in terms of
performance, I may have to consider switching.

Greg