Preferred method of multiple-machine email checking

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Mon Jan 30 15:59:30 MST 2006

Ross Werner wrote:
> What is everyone's preferred method of multiple-machine email checking?
> (i.e. a single email account, and you want to access (send and receive)
> that email account from various different machines and locations.)
>
> 1) Some web-based tool like Squirrelmail
> 2) SSH into a server and use something terminal-based like mutt/pine
> 3) Use a rich client like Thunderbird that you install on every machine
> you want to check email from, and use IMAP to make everything the same
> 4) Other?

I do a bit of 1,2, and 3.
Using IMAP is the key to flexibility.  POP is dead... or should be.

My primary machine I use at work has Thunderbird installed (IMAP of
course).  When I am away from my primary machine I can use Webmail
(http://roundcube.net).  When I am not at a GUI, I always have SSH/Mutt.

Almost every client I have tried saves sent mail on the server.  Some
pick different names for folders (Sent, sent-mail, etc).  But that is
almost always configurable.

--lonnie