Preferred method of multiple-machine email checking

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Mon Jan 30 15:23:19 MST 2006

On Jan 30, 2006, at 3:11 PM, Ross Werner wrote:

> What is everyone's preferred method of multiple-machine email
> checking? (i.e. a single email account, and you want to access (send
> and receive) that email account from various different machines and
> locations.)
<snip>
> 3) Use a rich client like Thunderbird that you install on every
> machine you want to check email from, and use IMAP to make everything
> the same

This is what I do.  I have my sent mail and things copied to the server.

<snip>
> The third option seems like even using IMAP, everything won't
> necessarily be the same ... for example, do sent mails typically get
> put in an IMAP folder? Also, what about settings and preferences? Not
> to mention the annoyances that having to install the rich client
> brings about.

It depends on how you set it up.  You can set it up so sent mails are
kept in an IMAP folder.  I don't have many preferences to worry about,
so that doesn't really bother me.  The other nice thing about this
setup is, as Wade mentioned, you can still use web clients like
SquirrelMail to check your email, and all the same things will be
there.  Course, most of the time I have my laptop, so I don't have to
worry about having a lot of machines that all have my IMAP account
information.

Grant