Strange Issue on FC4

Jake Pollmann jake.pollmann at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 15:20:40 MST 2006

On 1/30/06, C. Ed Felt <edfelt at gmail.com> wrote:

>    To anyone willing or able to help:
>     1. Can't browse the web in Mozilla or Opera.  The first page or two
>        comes up fine, then getting time outs after a while or it just
>        keeps trying to load the page eternally.
>     2. GAIM cannot connect to MSN messenger or AIM but can connect to
>        Yahoo.
>     3. Konqueror internet browsing works fine (but I need Mozilla/Opera
>        for some work web sites :-( ).
>     4. Thunderbird can't connect to or download new email.

I have felt the same pain and it was due to my Actiontec DSL modem's
shifty DNS server.  Despite trying to override the settings in the
modems interface, it always includes itself in the list of DNS servers
assigned by DHCP.

My cure was to assign the nameservers manually and not use DHCP on my
non-Windows gear.

Ignore me if the Actiontec hunch is not correct.

Jake