Strange Issue on FC4

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Jan 30 11:47:21 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 10:43 -0700, C. Ed Felt wrote:
>    To anyone willing or able to help:
>    I am a long time Linux user, (Mandrake, P-Nut, FC1-2-3-4, RHE, Ubuntu
>    etc...).  I have hit a wall with an issue I am having on my laptop.
>    Currently running FC4 with KDE (all fully updated).
>    Issues (all happen on wireless and ethernet in both KDE and Gnome
>    desktops):

I can assure you this isn't a Fedora Core 4 problem necessarily.  It's
definitely a network issue somewhere in the software probably, since it
is affecting all apps.

I'd definitely disable SELinux entirely.  Then make sure iptables is off
and won't be running at boot:

/etc/init.d/iptables stop
/sbin/chkconfig --level 35 iptables off

What does traceroute reveal?  If you /usr/sbin/traceroute www.google.com
does it get all the way?

What are your routes (/sbin/route -n)?  Recently I heard from someone
that had a problem with the wireless and wired interfaces being routed
at the same priority, causing all kinds of odd packet loss issues.

>     5. Ready to take a shot gun to FC4 :-( .

I doubt that'd be effective.  However trying out another distro (say
Ubuntu) as a sanity check might be good.  That way you can rule out some
kind of hardware/network problem.

Michael