[OT] Gas companies report record profits (old energy thread)

Dennis devel at muhlesteins.com
Mon Jan 30 11:19:20 MST 2006

> Maybe the prices dropped a bit because of these discussions?  Now that
> things have settled down, they are slowly rising again.

What I want to know, is who REALLY sets prices..  The comments and
consensus is that the market has a lot to do with setting the prices.
Well, each day some gas station employ goes outside and uses a long pole
to change the price of the gas they sell.. Who told that employ to
change the price?  Not the market.  There is an actual entity, whether
computer, human, or computer with human review that says to each company
what the price ought to be.   Perhaps it's driven by the market, but
there is an actual physical process somewhere that happens and that is
the part I'd like to know more about.

-Dennis