Strange Issue on FC4
C. Ed Felt
edfelt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 10:43:44 MST 2006
To anyone willing or able to help:
I am a long time Linux user, (Mandrake, P-Nut, FC1-2-3-4, RHE, Ubuntu
etc...). I have hit a wall with an issue I am having on my laptop.
Currently running FC4 with KDE (all fully updated).
Issues (all happen on wireless and ethernet in both KDE and Gnome
1. Can't browse the web in Mozilla or Opera. The first page or two
comes up fine, then getting time outs after a while or it just
keeps trying to load the page eternally.
2. GAIM cannot connect to MSN messenger or AIM but can connect to
3. Konqueror internet browsing works fine (but I need Mozilla/Opera
for some work web sites :-( ).
4. Thunderbird can't connect to or download new email.
What I have tried:
1. copy over /home/<user>/.thunderbird folder to another desktop
running FC4, thunderbird then works fine (on other desktop).
2. Updated everything (yum) and still had the same issues.
3. Reformatted and reinstalled FC4, updated everything, then had no
issues. Used Network Manager (supposed to help with wireless
connections) and issues returned. Killed NetworkManager (no
longer running) and issues stopped.
4. Issues suddenly returned a few days later so tried killing SELinux
(Linux Security) and firewall (iptables) all to no avail.
Verified NetworkManager is not running but still have the same
issues listed above.
5. Ready to take a shot gun to FC4 :-( .
6. Googled, looked for other solutions etc.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (short of trying some
beta version of FC or switching distros -- I will try another distro
if all else fails). Currently prefer using FC4 since our company
servers are running RHE.
- Ed Felt
More information about the PLUG