perl [was: in defense of Java, again]

Jacob Fugal lukfugl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 10:26:41 MST 2006

On 1/27/06, Jonathan Ellis <jonathan at carnageblender.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:29:06 -0700, "Levi Pearson" <levi at cold.org> said:
> > You have clearly implied that any developer that continues to use
> > Perl must be inexperienced, and will eventually 'grow out of it' like
> > you apparently grew out of Pascal.  The weasel word 'mostly' doesn't
> > get you out of that.
>
> My apologies for not having a peer-reviewed study correlating experience
> with perl use.  Still, that is definitely the case: experienced Perl
> developers, who experiment with other languages, tend not to stay
> with Perl.  You can see this happening in both the Python and the
> Ruby communities...  but you almost never see someone moving the
> other way.

I'll stand up as one that has moved from Perl to Ruby. Ruby is my
preferred language. Yet I still program in Perl *very* frequently. And
I don't mind it. Does that make me a sysadmin or not-very-experienced
developer? I leave that to the judgement of those that know me. Your
opinion is not representative of either of those communities.

Jacob Fugal