[OT] Gas companies report record profits (old energy thread)

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Jan 30 10:20:08 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 12:01 -0500, Grant Shipley wrote:
> After much discussion back in August (on this list) over why gas was
> so expensive......
>
> I think we have the answer now.

What concerns me far more than oil prices (gasoline) are natural gas
prices.  Natural gas production has nothing to do with oil production
(other than the same companies are involved), yet the price of natural
gas is always linked to it, which I have a problem with.  Certainly
supply and demand doesn't seem apply to natural gas.  For example, Utah
has a vast surplus of natural gas.  Yet the gas companies refuse to sell
to us at what would be a local market price because they can make a
killing selling on the open market.  I don't know of any workable
solution, however.  Natural gas prices effect the economy more than oil
prices because the vast majority of our plastic components come from
natural gas.  Unlike our dependence on oil (for fuel), I don't know of
any alternative to natural gas.  Clearly recycling plastics is
essential.  Composting waste to generate fertilizers also helps, but
can't eliminate our dependence on synthetic fertilizers without which,
we would not be able to feed the entire world (purely "natural" food
production hasn't shown itself to be sustainable or viable on the scale
needed for world food production).

Michael