Figuring out what process is eating bandwidth?

Byron Clark byron at theclarkfamily.name
Sat Jan 28 14:20:30 MST 2006

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 02:13:40PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 12:35:57PM -0700, Steve wrote:
> > Doh!  Yeah, ok so I did miss the point.

> > > I believe the original poster wanted to find how much bandwidth was
> > > being used by a process.  While netcat will show you which ports a
> > > process is bound to, it will not show how much data is being sent over
> > > those ports.
> > >

> Not necessarily. Could you write a script to crunch Ethereal data and
> use netstat to divide the packets up by processes?

Yes, as long as all the connections you care about are present in the
netstat output when you process the pcap data.  That sure sounds like a
race to me.  It may be good enough if you only care about long lived
connections, but I don't think it's possible to get a completely
accurate count of bandwidth usage with this method.

--
Byron Clark