Figuring out what process is eating bandwidth?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Jan 28 12:57:14 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 11:06 -0700, Ross Werner wrote:
> Ok, so I've downloaded iftop, and looked at ntop's web site, and I can't
> figure out any way to look at actual processes--is there any way to do
> this with any of the four network monitoring tools you listed? (Or any
> other tool for that matter.) They all seem to just track connections (so
> you can see which *host* is taking up the most bandwidth, but for example
> you can't see how much bandwidth gtk-gnutella is taking up with its sixty
> different connections, or apache with its two hundred connections).

I don't think the linux kernel can get you per-process statistics on
network usage.  In fact until recently you couldn't even do per-user
iptables filtering.  You still can't do per-process filtering without a
lot of hacks.  So in this regard (per-process network monitoring) Linux
is lacking.  As Byron has said, though, there are kernel patches to
allow this kind of thing.  For some reason, they aren't in the
mainstream kernel, though.

Michael