Figuring out what process is eating bandwidth?

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Sat Jan 28 11:47:26 MST 2006

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Justin Findlay wrote:
> I agree.  In vain I've searched for a utility that will tell me
> network usage per process on the local machine rather than per network
> connection.  Inline on top would be perfect.  Perhaps that's the
> charge given unto us, Ross.  We need to write such a utility.

I'm up for the challenge ... but is it even possible to get such
information? Ethereal and the like just listen on a network device for
packets going in and out, but the network device itself doesn't have
information about what processes sent those packets, does it? So that
information would have to come from somewhere else. Netstat has
information about what processes are connected to which ports, but it
doesn't have any information about what packets are sent across those
ports.

Would it be possible to tie the two together in user-space?

 	~ Ross