perl [was: in defense of Java, again]

Jason Hall jayce at lug-nut.com
Fri Jan 27 13:04:05 MST 2006

Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> My apologies for not having a peer-reviewed study correlating experience
> with perl use.  Still, that is definitely the case: experienced Perl
> developers, who experiment with other languages, tend not to stay
> with Perl.  You can see this happening in both the Python and the
> Ruby communities...  but you almost never see someone moving the
> other way.

survey says... X

Easy example, look at the company I work at.  Plenty of developers, from
a large variety of programming backgrounds, and we use Perl for our
development platform.

Is it because it's all we know? Quite the opposite actually.  It's not
like we learned it in college.  It's not like we've never used anything
else.  We chose to.

As for staying with Perl, you are quite mistaken. Yes people often learn
it, and some do decide they like other things.  But many go the other
direction.  Just because you sit in one camp and see people headed your
way, doesn't make it a one way street. There are a lot of us, and we're
growing.

--
Jayce^