Figuring out what process is eating bandwidth?

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Fri Jan 27 12:44:12 MST 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> Luckily, because it is network traffic you can use a sniffer to debug. I
> recommend ethereal-gnome.

Nuts. I was hoping for a faster way. Using ethereal-gnome requires me to:

a) launch ethereal
b) select the interface and start the capture
c) decide how long to capture for and then stop the capture
d) somehow visually determine which process is using all the bandwidth,
which is considerably difficult because:
   1) something may be very chatter-happy on the network but not sending
very large packets, therefore appearing many times in the ethereal output
but not actually taking all the bandwidth
   2) it might be immediately obvious based on the protocol and packet
contents which process sent that packet, but sometimes it's not, and I
don't know of any way to otherwise connect a packet in ethereal with which
process is sending that packet.

 	~ Ross