perl [was: in defense of Java, again]

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Fri Jan 27 12:33:03 MST 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:11:01 -0700, "Levi Pearson" <levi at cold.org> said:

> On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> >
> > This has been a very clear pattern if you follow the respective usenet
> > groups.  If it's insulting to say so, so be it.  Please continue
> > shooting the messenger. :)
>
> You, Mr. Experience, should know better than to draw conclusions from
> 'patterns' of usenet traffic.  Proportions of vocal people are not
> necessarily very related to proportions of the whole group.

So _that's_ why I haven't seen any impassioned perl users vehemently
defending their choice in this thread! :P

Come on, this isn't that hard, Levi.  Usenet is only an invalid sample
if for some reason ex-python or ex-ruby people turned out to be
inherently less vocal than ex-perl people.

... Unless you've already made up your mind ahead of time that any
evidence in favor of my position must be inherently invalid, in which
case you might as well go back to the ad hominem attacks.

>  That's
> just a silly argument.  But you didn't really intend an argument,
> just an insult, so there's no need to back up your assertions with
> real facts, right?

Ahh, right on cue.

Well, now that you've cleared that up, I guess we're done here.

-Jonathan