perl [was: in defense of Java, again]

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Fri Jan 27 11:59:56 MST 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:29:06 -0700, "Levi Pearson" <levi at cold.org> said:
> On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> > It's no sin to be inexperienced.  We all start that way.  Just like me
> > and my Pascal.
>
> You have clearly implied that any developer that continues to use
> Perl must be inexperienced, and will eventually 'grow out of it' like
> you apparently grew out of Pascal.  The weasel word 'mostly' doesn't
> get you out of that.

My apologies for not having a peer-reviewed study correlating experience
with perl use.  Still, that is definitely the case: experienced Perl
developers, who experiment with other languages, tend not to stay
with Perl.  You can see this happening in both the Python and the
Ruby communities...  but you almost never see someone moving the
other way.

This has been a very clear pattern if you follow the respective usenet
groups.  If it's insulting to say so, so be it.  Please continue
shooting the messenger. :)

> That's both clearly false (by evidence of many counterexamples)

Sure, you can find exceptions for every rule...  Except in your world,
where acknowledging that is "weasely."  Good luck with that whole
black and white thing.

-Jonathan